The UN has sent emergency aid to DR Congo to fight the Ebola outbreak.
The United Nations has allocated $60 million from an emergency fund to help quell the outbreak of the Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). This was reported on May 22 by the Reuters news agency, citing Tom Fletcher, head of the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
"We need to get ahead of the Ebola outbreak. These are difficult conditions for life-saving work. We are facing conflicts and high population migration," Fletcher said on social media.
At the moment, the outbreak of the virus has led to 160 suspected deaths out of 670 suspected cases of infection, the author of the material clarifies.
Experts believe that the virus strain found in the DRC went unnoticed and spread in Ituri province for almost two months before it was identified in mid-May.
The BBC TV channel noted on May 19 that the new outbreak of Ebola that has affected the DRC and Uganda may be spreading much faster than previously thought. WHO spokeswoman Anne-Marie Anchia said the epicenter of the outbreak, the Congolese province of Ituri, is an unsafe area where the population is "significantly mobile," complicating experts' efforts to track and control the fever.
Переведено сервисом «Яндекс Переводчик»